The Torrefaction process can be applied for a wide range of organic materials such as wood chips and straw. It is a thermochemical process where various biomasses are treated in the absence of oxygen at temperatures between 250 … 320 ºC.
The torrefied biomass has a greater stability in prolonged storage as it is more resistant to biological degradation. It has a high energy density reducing significantly storage and transport costs.
For this application the LIST KneaderReactor is equipped with an optimized mixing shaft geometry which promotes the heat transfer to the dry product.
LIST Technology and Centro Nacional de Energías Renovables, Aoiz, Spain (CENER, www.cener.com) have a cooperation to promote the LIST Torrefaction technology
- Various types of wood chips, e.g. pine, poplar, beech, eucalyptus, pawlonia, olive tree pruning
- Chopped straw.
- Effective self-cleaning to minimize dead zones, product accumulation and product degradation
- Excellent kneading and mixing for better homogenization
- Low shear processing
- Specific agitator design for transport of various biomass
- Effective heat transfer
- High surface renewal efficiency
- Large free vapour volume
- Precise and uniform temperature control due to large heat transfer areas
- Continuous processing
- Narrow residence time distributions (plug flow)
- Wide and flexible range of average residence times
- Reliable process scale-up from pilot to industrial units