Polycondensation or step-growth polymerization is often used for the processing of adhesives, coatings, engineered plastics, fibers, films and many high-performance polymers.
During the polycondensation reaction, the volatile monomers are evaporated from the lower molecular weight pre-polymers to form polymers with a higher molecular weight.
In LIST KneaderReactors the high process temperatures and low vacuum levels in combination with robust mixing and frequent surface renewal allow a quick removal of the monomers, maximizing the mass transfer efficiency.
Highly flexible LIST KneaderReactors enable the polycondensation of various polymer grades in one single machine without having to retool between the production campaigns.
- Effective self-cleaning to minimize dead zones, product accumulation and product degradation
- Excellent kneading and mixing for better homogenization
- Low shear processing
- Effective heat transfer
- High surface renewal efficiency
- Large free vapour volume
- Precise and uniform temperature control due to large heat transfer areas
- Continuous processing
- Processing of sticky and highly viscous products
- Narrow residence time distributions (plug flow)
- Wide and flexible range of average residence times
- Reliable process scale-up from pilot to industrial units
- High conversion rates
- Reaction at almost stoichiometric conditions
High performance polyamides for high temperature applications
Low caloric food additive
Polyaspartic Acid (PASA)
Polyaspartic acid as additive for washing powder
Special grade polyesters e.g. for medical applications
Thickener for paints and coatings